Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A mysterious musical message?


Many years ago, my sister-in-law Kay Griffiths shared the musical message above with me. Can you read it?

I use it to explain these three musical symbols to my students. And I always let them know how I learnt it.

Don't be sharp
Don't be flat
Always be natural
I'll let you ponder the philosophical meaning of the saying: I've been doing that for forty years, and still reflect on it, every now and again. But for musicians:

 means Play the key on the right of B





means Play the key on the left of B


And


means Play the original key.


Do you have any other great musical puzzles? We'd love you to share them.

But the little person in the picture is starting with exploring music through movement and actions and sound: sharps and flats can come later!

Your child can explore music at Mitchell Conservatorium in our early childhood program and later learn to make sense of those mysterious symbols, too when you phone 6331 6622 and enrol in 2013 classes.